Saturday, December 13, 2003
...Complication, the first of many...
OK, in the frenzy to get the computer and thus shore up what I would request for Christmas, I made the first of what are to be several errors along the way.
In layman's terms, it is not big, but may set me back anywhere from $20-$80, offending the budget but not killing the dream.
In technical terms, I assumed I could use my stick of PC133 128MB ECC memory in the Optiplex GX110 I bought. Though it hasn't arrived yet, I have now read that the Optiplex GX110 takes only non-ECC (Error-Correcting Code) memory. Other Dell computers I have used in the past have had the option of using ECC or not (but not mixed). Furthermore, it is coming with 128 MB installed - is that 64 MB x2 (in two slots) or 128 MB x1 (in one slot)? I was hoping for 128 MB in one slot and to put my 128 MB in the other, but that's way off the boards now. To buy the "proper" memory I need (256 MB) would be easily $70-$80 but I bet a eBay could help knock that price down. The 128 MB ECC PC133 I do have could fetch $10 on eBay, but that may not be a sure thing.
In layman's terms, it is not big, but may set me back anywhere from $20-$80, offending the budget but not killing the dream.
In technical terms, I assumed I could use my stick of PC133 128MB ECC memory in the Optiplex GX110 I bought. Though it hasn't arrived yet, I have now read that the Optiplex GX110 takes only non-ECC (Error-Correcting Code) memory. Other Dell computers I have used in the past have had the option of using ECC or not (but not mixed). Furthermore, it is coming with 128 MB installed - is that 64 MB x2 (in two slots) or 128 MB x1 (in one slot)? I was hoping for 128 MB in one slot and to put my 128 MB in the other, but that's way off the boards now. To buy the "proper" memory I need (256 MB) would be easily $70-$80 but I bet a eBay could help knock that price down. The 128 MB ECC PC133 I do have could fetch $10 on eBay, but that may not be a sure thing.