Friday, January 02, 2004
Fun with urpmi
Now, I want to start tweaking things, and for this I will require urpmi to be configured correctly. For starters, I can have the computer stop looking to the installation CD's for programs and use the mirrors at Virginia Tech, which is fine by me. I configure urpmi using a web site to give me the proper sets of instructions:
urpmi.removemedia -a to start off with a clean slate.
urpmi.addmedia main ftp://raven.cslab.vt.edu/pub/linux/mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz (the main files)
urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://raven.cslab.vt.edu/pub/linux/mandrake/9.2/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz (for contributed files)
urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://raven.cslab.vt.edu/pub/linux/mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/ with ../base/hdlist.cz (for updates)
Then, I updated the kernel. I used urpmi linux-2.4.22.23mdk and that was that. All I had to do then was follow these instructions.
I then went on to try out the nVIDIA driver for my card. As it happens, I used lynx to navigate over to the driver. I was working from a terminal on my Windows laptop at the time, so I just cut and paste into the terminal what I needed. I turned off X first using /etc/init.d/dm stop then ran sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run. I made many adjustments to the XFree86Config-4 file, as instructed. In the end, I have set up the following, based partly on the following site:
# XF86Config auto-generated by XF86Setup
#
# Copyright (c) 1996 by The XFree86 Project, Inc.
#
# Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
# copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
# to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
# the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
# and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
# Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
#
# The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
# all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
# IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
# FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
# THE XFREE86 PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF
# OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
# SOFTWARE.
#
# Except as contained in this notice, the name of the XFree86 Project shall
# not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
# dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from the
# XFree86 Project.
#
# See 'man XF86Config' for info on the format of this file
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "NTSC"
VendorName "Canada/USA/Japan"
ModelName "Televison"
HorizSync 29-34
VertRefresh 25-65
# These are all the fundamental supported ntsc modes
Modeline "ntsc:fundamental-1" 25.175 640 704 763 862 440 456 484 525
Modeline "ntsc:fundamental-2" 27.180 640 704 763 862 440 456 484 525
Modeline "ntsc:fundamental-3" 28.325 640 692 751 898 440 460 488 525
Modeline "ntsc:fundamental-4" 32.000 640 704 763 1014 440 456 484 525
Modeline "ntsc:fundamental-5" 32.000 720 784 796 1014 440 464 492 525
# These are all the ntsc modes which are useful in practice
Modeline "ntsc:640x400" 28.325 640 680 739 898 400 444 472 525
Modeline "ntsc:640x440" 27.180 640 704 763 862 440 456 484 525
Modeline "ntsc:640x480" 27.180 640 704 763 862 480 500 510 568
Modeline "ntsc:720x440" 32.000 720 784 796 1014 440 464 492 525
Modeline "ntsc:720x540" 32.000 720 784 796 1014 540 578 588 625
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
VendorName "NVidia"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:1:8:0"
Option "DPMS"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen1"
Device "device1"
Monitor "NTSC"
DefaultColorDepth 24
Subsection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "ntsc:640x480"
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "ntsc:640x480"
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "ntsc:640x480"
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "ntsc:640x480"
EndSubsection
EndSection
And, it shows up on the TV. And, while I am worried about killing the TV, it is OK right now.
urpmi.removemedia -a to start off with a clean slate.
urpmi.addmedia main ftp://raven.cslab.vt.edu/pub/linux/mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz (the main files)
urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://raven.cslab.vt.edu/pub/linux/mandrake/9.2/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz (for contributed files)
urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://raven.cslab.vt.edu/pub/linux/mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/ with ../base/hdlist.cz (for updates)
Then, I updated the kernel. I used urpmi linux-2.4.22.23mdk and that was that. All I had to do then was follow these instructions.
I then went on to try out the nVIDIA driver for my card. As it happens, I used lynx to navigate over to the driver. I was working from a terminal on my Windows laptop at the time, so I just cut and paste into the terminal what I needed. I turned off X first using /etc/init.d/dm stop then ran sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run. I made many adjustments to the XFree86Config-4 file, as instructed. In the end, I have set up the following, based partly on the following site:
# XF86Config auto-generated by XF86Setup
#
# Copyright (c) 1996 by The XFree86 Project, Inc.
#
# Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
# copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
# to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
# the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
# and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
# Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
#
# The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
# all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
# IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
# FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
# THE XFREE86 PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF
# OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
# SOFTWARE.
#
# Except as contained in this notice, the name of the XFree86 Project shall
# not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
# dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from the
# XFree86 Project.
#
# See 'man XF86Config' for info on the format of this file
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "NTSC"
VendorName "Canada/USA/Japan"
ModelName "Televison"
HorizSync 29-34
VertRefresh 25-65
# These are all the fundamental supported ntsc modes
Modeline "ntsc:fundamental-1" 25.175 640 704 763 862 440 456 484 525
Modeline "ntsc:fundamental-2" 27.180 640 704 763 862 440 456 484 525
Modeline "ntsc:fundamental-3" 28.325 640 692 751 898 440 460 488 525
Modeline "ntsc:fundamental-4" 32.000 640 704 763 1014 440 456 484 525
Modeline "ntsc:fundamental-5" 32.000 720 784 796 1014 440 464 492 525
# These are all the ntsc modes which are useful in practice
Modeline "ntsc:640x400" 28.325 640 680 739 898 400 444 472 525
Modeline "ntsc:640x440" 27.180 640 704 763 862 440 456 484 525
Modeline "ntsc:640x480" 27.180 640 704 763 862 480 500 510 568
Modeline "ntsc:720x440" 32.000 720 784 796 1014 440 464 492 525
Modeline "ntsc:720x540" 32.000 720 784 796 1014 540 578 588 625
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
VendorName "NVidia"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:1:8:0"
Option "DPMS"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen1"
Device "device1"
Monitor "NTSC"
DefaultColorDepth 24
Subsection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "ntsc:640x480"
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "ntsc:640x480"
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "ntsc:640x480"
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "ntsc:640x480"
EndSubsection
EndSection
And, it shows up on the TV. And, while I am worried about killing the TV, it is OK right now.