Friday, January 02, 2004
Let's begin....
OK, this is where we begin with my PVR computer:
1) Install Mandrake Linux 9.2 again, documenting why and how.
2) Get my Jaton card to perform the TV-Out using its S-video.
3) Get the sound card to perform its audio out using the line out.
4) Get the ivtv driver set up to recognize the Hauppauge PVR-250 card.
5) Then and only then, get MythTV.
I hope to do 1) and 2) today, here in the next two hours. I have limited time to work on this, as the thesis is still of highest priority. But, I figure that this might help me get the writing juices flowing, as believe it or not, this is writing after all.
OK, the computer is booted with Mandrake Linux 9.2 Disk 1 in the CD-ROM. I do no special commands at the beginning, and the graphical interface for installation pops up. I am running a 15" monitor off the Jaton card, and it is good that I see it. The selections at the beginning are rather dull, but for completeness, I note that:
1) I choose English (American).
2) I accepted the license.
3) I have a Standard PS/2 mouse.
4) I choose a Standard security level, and set a Security Administrator Login.
5) I said I had performed a "dry run" so I have Linux partitions ready to go. This is what I selected on my 160 GB drive:
(Remember, that the 160GB drive is actually 147GB as 1 kB = 1024 B)
7) I chose the following in the "Package Group Selection" area:
9) The 13 minute installation begins.
10) I set the root password.
11) I set the "mythtv" user,.
12) I choose to automatically log-in just the one user in KDE.
13) I choose to put the bootloader on the first sector of the drive (the MBR) as this is a single-boot machine.
14) I am left with the System configuration summary:
16) Configure the graphical interface - Choose the Generic 640 x 480 @ 60 Hz, to best mesh with the television.(?) Also, change from the Intel 810 chipset (the onboard) to the nVIDIA GeForce 4 chipset. Then, let LINUX know in the next screen I only want to configure the "NVidia|0x332 card" on (PCI:1:8:0). I chose XFree 4.3. Full color and 640x480 confirmed, testing of the configuration worked, I will allow it to autoload.
17) Double-check that the LAN is working, as I have the computer hooked up to the router/cable modem box.
18) Confirm the configuration, and allow the computer to load up updates.
19) Remove the CDs, and Mandrake Linux 9.2 is installed.
- Dell Optiplex GX110, 933 MHz, 384 MB of PC133 non-ECC memory.
- On-board 4 MB graphics, ignored.
- Jaton PCI228-128TV, installed in the second PCI slot.
- Hauppauge PVR-250 TV card, installed in the first PCI slot.
- A CreativeLabs sound card, installed in the fourth PCI slot.
1) Install Mandrake Linux 9.2 again, documenting why and how.
2) Get my Jaton card to perform the TV-Out using its S-video.
3) Get the sound card to perform its audio out using the line out.
4) Get the ivtv driver set up to recognize the Hauppauge PVR-250 card.
5) Then and only then, get MythTV.
I hope to do 1) and 2) today, here in the next two hours. I have limited time to work on this, as the thesis is still of highest priority. But, I figure that this might help me get the writing juices flowing, as believe it or not, this is writing after all.
OK, the computer is booted with Mandrake Linux 9.2 Disk 1 in the CD-ROM. I do no special commands at the beginning, and the graphical interface for installation pops up. I am running a 15" monitor off the Jaton card, and it is good that I see it. The selections at the beginning are rather dull, but for completeness, I note that:
1) I choose English (American).
2) I accepted the license.
3) I have a Standard PS/2 mouse.
4) I choose a Standard security level, and set a Security Administrator Login.
5) I said I had performed a "dry run" so I have Linux partitions ready to go. This is what I selected on my 160 GB drive:
(Remember, that the 160GB drive is actually 147GB as 1 kB = 1024 B)
- /dev/hda1, Journalized FS:ext3, 5.8GB (3%), mount point: /
- /dev/hda5, Linux swap, 1.1GB (0%)
- /dev/hda6, Journalized FS:ext3, 5.1GB (3%), mount point: /home
- /dev/hda7, Linux native (ext2), 136GB (91%), mount point: /var/video
7) I chose the following in the "Package Group Selection" area:
- Server: Web/FTP, Database, Network Computer server
- Workstation: Internet station, Configuration, Console Tools
- Develoment, Documentation, LSB
- Graphical Environment: KDE Workstation
9) The 13 minute installation begins.
10) I set the root password.
11) I set the "mythtv" user,.
12) I choose to automatically log-in just the one user in KDE.
13) I choose to put the bootloader on the first sector of the drive (the MBR) as this is a single-boot machine.
14) I am left with the System configuration summary:
- Keyboard - US keyboard
- Country/Region - United States
- Timezone - America/New York
- Mouse - PS/2 Standard
- Printer - Remote CUPS server
- Sound Card - Creative Labs | Sound Blaster AudioPCI64V/AudioPCI128
- Graphical Interface - Not configured
- Network - Lan
- Security Level - Standard
- Firewall - disabled
- Bootloader - lilo-graphic on /dev/hda
- Services - Services: 31 activated for 49 registered
16) Configure the graphical interface - Choose the Generic 640 x 480 @ 60 Hz, to best mesh with the television.(?) Also, change from the Intel 810 chipset (the onboard) to the nVIDIA GeForce 4 chipset. Then, let LINUX know in the next screen I only want to configure the "NVidia|0x332 card" on (PCI:1:8:0). I chose XFree 4.3. Full color and 640x480 confirmed, testing of the configuration worked, I will allow it to autoload.
17) Double-check that the LAN is working, as I have the computer hooked up to the router/cable modem box.
18) Confirm the configuration, and allow the computer to load up updates.
19) Remove the CDs, and Mandrake Linux 9.2 is installed.