Saturday, March 13, 2004

Adding a DVD Burner to the mix 

In the long three weeks since my last posting, I acquired a [edited 27 Mar 2004: brand name deleted] 4x DVD+/-RW/CD-RW burner. I have yet to test it, partially due to thesis writing but primarily due to the learning curve required to actually get Linux to burn a DVD on one's behalf.

In this brief update, I will outline some future topics of discussion:
1.) Plans to upgrade to mythtv 0.14 or higher once Mandrake 10.0 is released for free public download.
2.) Concerted effort to actually do a better job describing how to set up the box, perhaps going so far as to wipe the computer and starting over. Maybe I can get the remote control to work this time.
3.) How to archive all those blurry, handheld videos of graduations and other events, truly ridding myself of the enemy of living room design and function - the video tape collection.
4.) What to do with programs in the video tape collection that I did not produce.... It is an old debate, as old as the Sony Betamax(TM) - what happens when people go beyond time-shifting programs to archiving shows? Does it matter legally as long as I do not distribute or redistribute these archived shows? Is marketability an issue? I could buy The Simpsons on DVD, but what about the "1999 Rose Bowl presented by AT & T" between the Wisconsin Badgers and the UCLA Bruins, a game I personally attended and my parents recorded for me on WBBJ-7 in Jackson, TN? Can I buy that DVD somewhere? If I mailed ABC a letter asking for permission to transfer a copy from videotape to DVD, could I lose both the videotape and the DVD? Of course I could just perform the transfer, but it wouldn't make it legal or right, and as it turns out I have a conscience.
5) And, more viewer mail!