Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Your hard drive will fill up when your team wins 

160 MB of storage, and the greatest comeback in Vanderbilt basketball history is no where to be found. My Vanderbilt Commodores, who defeated N.C. State to reach the Round of 16 in the NCAA Men's basketball championships, overcame a 10 point deficit in the last three minutes of the game to win. This turnaround was predicated on a young man named Hodges fouling out of the game at the 2:44 (2'44") mark in the game. I know this because I listened to the game on the radio outside a church in Jenison, MI where I would attend a christening 45 minutes later.

With 30 seconds left to play in the Vanderbilt game, the VCR at the house in Jenison where I was staying turned on to capture the Wisconsin-Pittsburg matchup, which the Badgers lost. (The Badgers are the graduate school team, the Commodores of Vanderbilt are the undergraduate obsession - in four years at Vandy I attended all but two home games. At Wisconsin, I attended two home games.) So on Sunday I saw the celebration of the victory.

Upon returning Monday night to watch the hours of NCAA basketball on the PVR, there was a mixture of recording and missing that was quite strange. I saw parts of the Vandy game up to that 2:44 mark, but the game ended for me at that point because I finally ran out of room on the hard drive. What would happen is that it would record at high quality, MPEG-2 off of the Hauppauge card, then stop when it got (nearly) full. Then, after transcoding, there would be more room to record, and so it would continue, half-recording shows all weekend. This was my first experience away from the PVR for any amount of time. I usually "prune" away the shows I am done watching, but without me there it was not to be.

But, Vanderbilt still won, though I cannot prove it without a VCR. Ouch.