Tuesday, May 25, 2004
Upgrade coming sooner than expected
I had promised myself that my Ph.D. dissertation would be finished before I performed any major updates to the blog here or to the Mythbox in my living room. Also, I have been waiting on Mandrake Linux 10.0 Download to show up on my favorite mirror. I am still a few tens of pages away from completing the dissertation, yet my otherwise wonderful mythbox is about four days away from paperweight status unless I upgrade it.
Thankfully, the changes to the mythbox are for the best. The problem lies with the xmltv component, and not with MythTV directly. xmltv operates by "scraping" information from Zap2It.com, owned by the same people who own The Chicago Cubs. They are tired of xmltv'ers hogging bandwidth, but in an uncharacteristic show of good will, they developed a better way to download tv listings to our computers. I hear five second downloads of daily info versus 2.5 minutes the old way of parsing the HTML.
However, MythTV 0.13 won't cut it. On the MythTV Users List Archive they are intoning that the best solution is to adopt the latest changes from the CVS and skip directly to the pre-0.15 release.
Thankfully, the changes to the mythbox are for the best. The problem lies with the xmltv component, and not with MythTV directly. xmltv operates by "scraping" information from Zap2It.com, owned by the same people who own The Chicago Cubs. They are tired of xmltv'ers hogging bandwidth, but in an uncharacteristic show of good will, they developed a better way to download tv listings to our computers. I hear five second downloads of daily info versus 2.5 minutes the old way of parsing the HTML.
However, MythTV 0.13 won't cut it. On the MythTV Users List Archive they are intoning that the best solution is to adopt the latest changes from the CVS and skip directly to the pre-0.15 release.