Monday, June 21, 2004

MythTV 0.15.1 and Mandrake 10.0 Official : Mini HOW-TO 

It has been one day since I finally got MythTV 0.15.1, IVTV, and Mandrake 10.0 playing together well. My main problem was that I tried applying every "bleeding edge" advance to my box when many were unnecessary. In the end, this is my configuration:

-Mandrake 10.0 Official with kernel-2.4.25.5mdk
-IVTV driver 0.1.9, the suggested driver for users.
-MythTV 0.15.1, including
MythVideo
No downloading of Hollywood movies for me, simply there to watch videos from the Internet Archive and from my digital camera.
MythDVD
I enabled VCD support not (illegal) trancoding/ripping. It's moot anyway until I graduate, no DVD player yet.
MythWeather
I can never, never get the map to load on the first try; I always visit twice.
MythBrowser
This blog loads up pretty well, though the graphics at the right are shifted to the bottom of the page. Have you seen Aiy's Backyard, my wife's pages?
MythWeb
No compiling required - don't forget to set permissions liberally (chmod 777 works for my private network) to /var/www/html/mythweb.
MythNews
Nice for skimming headlines.
I made corrections to the posts below noting what was bad advice and what was good advice, dating entries for clarity. Headings should be followed in numerical order and not chronological.

MythTV - what a great program!