Wednesday, June 09, 2004

MythTV 0.15.1 and Mandrake 10.0 Official : Step 2 - Weaning off the install CD's 

One of the things I enjoy most about Mandrake is urpmi. I am now going to change the source of my installation from the CD's I downloaded off the Internet to actively updated servers accross the US (because I am in the US). In fact over the last week I have downloaded several things from several servers. I can tell you from the mid-Atlantic partion of the US, I got the fastest speeds from
ftp.rutgers.edu (~ 400kb/s)
helios.dii.utk.edu (= 200 kb/s cap)
raven.cslab.vt.edu
mirror.cs.wisc.edu

So, I went with:
urpmi.removemedia -a
urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.0/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/Mandrakelinux/official/10.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/Mandrakelinux/official/10.0/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz


I aquired files I would need for running MythTV and just for my own edification.

# exit
$ su
# urpmi mozilla-firebird mysql gcc gcc-c++ freetype2-devel cdialog alsa-utils XFree86-devel perl libqt3-devel libqt3-mysql apache2 apache2-mod_php php-mysql libtiff3-devel libdvdread3 libdvdread3-devel a52dec liba52dec-devel mplayer

EDIT 21 Jun 2004: adding urpmi ntp wget e3. One advantage to Mandrake 10.0 is that MythTV 0.15.1 requires wget-1.9 to run the DataDirect service from Zap2It.com.