Wednesday, June 09, 2004

MythTV 0.15.1 and Mandrake 10.0 Official : Step 3 - Seeing and controlling the Hauppauge card 

We start off with all our prerequisites for MythTV downloaded. We will be following the instructions found at Chapter 22 of the mythtv.org HOWTO. As the instructions are not under a open license, we will recap briefly our progress as we go along. EDIT 21 Jun 2004: Follow that page exactly, though I chose to go with a more recent update for the PVR-250 firmware. Keep track when you are a user and when you are root ($ vs. #). I also deleted information below regarding Chris Kennedy's IVTV Patches because the basic ivtv drivers worked for me. and until I graduate, I'm not trying the remote control again.

Another thing, test your IVTV installation before progressing. First, just type in
# cat /dev/video0
If the screen fills up with random characters and doesn't report input/output error, you're halfway home. For a break with your Channel 4, (CSPAN-2, here) then type
# mplayer /dev/video0