Friday, October 01, 2004

My blogging hiatus is over. 

On August 5, 2004, I successfully defended my Ph.D. dissertation entitled "Correlating the Physical Interface and Magnetically Active Thickness of Ultrathin Cobalt Films." The degree was officially conferred on August 22, 2004. My formal physics education is over, but I can explain how the 160 GB hard drive in my PVR works. Awesome.

In this (hopefully) brief interlude between the time I stopped patting myself on the back for finishing and the time I am gainfully employed, I will be able to do more work on this site. Watching MythTV is highly addictive, especially when one has had to forswear good television to accomplish an academic goal. Two examples: First, I may have been the key demographic for Futurama, but I never had the time to invest in the series. Repeats on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network have finally enabled me to watch the entire series. Just yesterday, my MythTV setup let me know that I had seen them all. Done. Finished. I have caught up to the rest of you.

Second, here in the Washington, DC area we have access to Aussie Rules Football on the MHz Networks, an independent public broadcaster. Though the matches are delayed by one week, I was able to actually integrate myself into the AFL this year. I had always kidded that as a fan of the New Orleans Saints that I should support the St. Kilda Saints of the AFL. As it happens, St. Kilda had the best goal scorer this year and made it to the semi-finals (prelimatry finals, as they say). Congrats to the Saints, and to the Port Adelaide Power, who won it all.