Saturday, September 09, 2006

MythTV 0.19 and Mandrake 10.1 - Step 1, Realizations 

OK, so my plan of last Monday was completely wrong. I'm not messing up my kernel right now. Not to say I didn't try. I had my Mandriva 2006 Free install disks all ready to go, but I think I have scratched up the first of the three disks. Not having an .iso file handy, I was out of luck.

Therefore, I decided to play around a bit - I changed installation sources and compiled a kernel based on the one supplied w/Mandriva 2006. But once compiled, I tried installing the proprietary NVIDIA driver with the new kernel, as at the time I could see nothing. It didn't work so well, and so I reverted back to my original kernel, reinstalled the NVIDIA driver I was using, and all was well.

Now, I realize that all I want to do is upgrade MythTV. I don't want to reinvent the wheel here, and there seems to be no reason at all to upgrade my base system. So, let's see what I need to do to upgrade MythTV. I realize I need to read some instructions.