Monday, September 04, 2006

MythTV 0.19 and Mandriva 2006 Free - Introduction 

Here on Labor Day in the United States, I am contemplating doing something rather dumb. Instead of running around in the sunshine, I want to update my MythTV box. Thankfully, I just had a long nine-day vacation which provided nine carefree days for running around in the sunshine, so I am ready to go.

During a period between jobs, I compiled the kernel currently running on the MythTV box, denoted "2.6.10-2mdk20050212-bmb" as a variant of the provided Mandrake kernel. I plan to start off by compiling a new kernel again - this action will allow me to maintain my present state while moving towards an upgrade.

However, I also want to be working within the framework of the "Mandriva 2006 Free" release of my favorite distribution. Therefore, it would seem that I simply start by putting the install disks into the machine and get the new release onto the computer.

Before all this, however, I will go through my checklist to make sure the present MythTV database is protected.