Saturday, May 12, 2007

300 GB of what do I do now? 

Follow this logic if you will:

1) We have many many digital photos saved on a 300GB hard drive.
2) We had no backup plan.
3) I got two 250 GB Western Digital hard drives and an ATA-133 RAID card to solve the immediate problem of photo loss due to drive failure (purchased from the outlet at CDW.com).
4) This maneuver freed up a 300 GB hard drive for the PVR, but I had never considered installing Logical Volume Manager [links to definition, Wikipedia] for the /var/video partition. So, the 300 GB now sits installed in the machine unused while the number of programs we have on tap at any given time fails to satisfy every possible whim.

I had thought that tghe next version of Mythtv (0.21) would correlate Recording Groups with individual file folders, meaning I would never have to learn how to implement LVM to have 460 GB of filesystem. However, whatever source I read that left me with that impression cannot be found tonight.

I will use the new drive to make a very important change, one that may interest those attempting a similar transition in the future. I am switching from Mandriva to Kubuntu. It will be a whole new world to learn, and I can go incrementally while keeping the 160 GB drive running with my custom kernel of 2+ years ago. The recorder should not miss a show, if I remember to restart when i am done tinkering.