Sunday, March 09, 2008
Optiplex GX110 (2003-2008)
In the column at left I have added a new entry for retired parts. Perhaps "retired" isn't the best word for this....The Dell Optiplex GX110 (933 MHz Pentium III, 384 MB) has failed to boot for the last time. A stripped-down configuration of no expansion cards, no hard drives, no floppy, no CD-ROM, no memory, just a CPU and motherboard correctly deciphered it could not boot without a stick of memory.
With the 128 MB stick in, it booted once out of approximately 20 attempts. With the 256 MB in, it booted in approximately 1 in 20 attempts and stated that the memory was corrupted. Thus, facing the possibility of running on only 128 MB and only if the wind blew in the right directio ther moment I went to boot, I declared the computer unsalvageable on Saturday.
Note, the last time I restarted the computer it was a little "hit-and-miss" on the boot, so I kept it running for > 160 days. Not a bad way for a computer to go out.
This led to a trip to The Computer Place and a brand new, running configuration. More on this later.
With the 128 MB stick in, it booted once out of approximately 20 attempts. With the 256 MB in, it booted in approximately 1 in 20 attempts and stated that the memory was corrupted. Thus, facing the possibility of running on only 128 MB and only if the wind blew in the right directio ther moment I went to boot, I declared the computer unsalvageable on Saturday.
Note, the last time I restarted the computer it was a little "hit-and-miss" on the boot, so I kept it running for > 160 days. Not a bad way for a computer to go out.
This led to a trip to The Computer Place and a brand new, running configuration. More on this later.